〈 2021 Summer 〉
Due to the influence of coronavirus (covid-19), Rikkyo University would like to present the Online Short-Term Intensive Japanese Program twice during summer 2021. In the summer 2021 program, the entire program comprises about 23 hours of Japanese language study for one credit. Additionally, we will offer some online cultural events in which participants will be able to interact virtually with other participants as well as Rikkyo students. In this program, “Beginner” level classes will be held. The program capacity is limited. Upon completing the program, participants will be given a certificate of completion and an official transcript.
〈 2021 Winter 〉
Rikkyo University presents the 2021 Winter Short-Term Intensive Japanese Program in Niiza Campus. The entire program comprises 46.7 hours of classroom instruction on Japanese language plus 25 hours of lectures on Japanese culture and society, including field trips. In this program, “Beginner” and “Elementary” level classes will be held. The program capacity is limited. Upon completing the program, participants will be given a certificate of completion and an official transcript.
Rikkyo University will offer the in-person Short-Term Intensive Japanese Program for Winter. However, we continue to closely monitor the spread of coronavirus (covid-19) and depending on the covid-19 situation, the in-person program could be canceled. In that case, we will offer an online program instead. We will make a decision whether we will offer the program in person by Friday, October 15, 2021. Please note even if we decide to offer the in-person program on October 15, 2021, the program might be cancelled in case of further spread of the infections afterwards. Please also note that in such case, Rikkyo University cannot cover the possible cancellation costs such as flight ticket cancellation costs or lodging cancellation costs.
Monday, June 14, 2021- Wednesday, June 23, 2021 (no classes on Saturday and Sunday)
Monday, July 12, 2021- Wednesday, July 21, 2021 (no classes on Saturday and Sunday)
The program starts on Tuesday, January 11, and ends on Friday, January 28, 2022. Participants need to arrive and check in at the accommodation on Monday, January 10, and check out on Saturday, January 29, 2022.
The cost of the each program, including tuition and administrative fee.
The cost of the in-person program, including tuition, room, board (breakfast on weekdays) and the fees for all program activities, is approximately 300,000 yen. The program cost does not include transportation costs (to and within Japan), or any other miscellaneous living expenses for the duration of the program.
* By taking the current covid-19 situation into consideration, participants will stay in a single room at a hotel near Niiza campus.
* Participants are only allowed to stay outside of the designated accommodation overnight on Friday nights and Saturday nights if they submit the overnight stay form to Center for Japanese Language Education Office on a weekday.
* Rikkyo University will arrange the insurance that covers the following: Injury & sickness that results in death -- 3 million yen, injury that results in physical impediment -- 3 million yen, rescuer’s expenses -- 10 million yen, which includes treatment for disease and accidental injury, and personal liability insurance compensation authorized -- 100 million yen, which includes incidental settlement negotiation services.
However, it is each participant’s own responsibility to arrange his/her own insurance policy to cover all necessary costs as our insurance does not cover chronic disease.
The following students can apply for this program.
1. The students who are enrolled at Rikkyo University's partner universities.
2. The students at universities that are now negotiating with Rikkyo University for partner universities.
3. The students who were introduced to the program by the teaching staff of Rikkyo University.
Interested applicants must submit the following five documents to the CJLE through the online application.
Summer 1: Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Summer 2: Wednesday, May 12, 2021
The admissions of each program will be confirmed on or after the following date.
Summer 1: Friday, April 22, 2021
Summer 2: Friday, May 21, 2021
Summer 1: Friday, April 30, 2021
Summer 2: Friday, May 28, 2021
Monday, September 27, 2021
Thursday, October 7, 2021
Sunday, October 31, 2021.
* Please make payment after we announce if we can offer the in-person program or online program by Friday, October 15, 2021
1. Application form including signature by applicant (PDF)
2. Application form not including signature by applicant (XLSX)
3. Copy of passport (PDF)
4. Face photograph for student ID (JPEG or PNG)
*Please upload the photo that you would use for official documents, such as passport.
5. Latest official university transcript issued by the home university (the document must be in English) (PDF)
If you wish to cancel your participation in the program, and declare your intent to do so by May 13, 2021 (Japan time), 80% of your fees will be refunded. If you cancel your participation in the program by June 11 (Japan time), 30% of your fees will be refunded. The transfer fee is deducted from the refund, and if you cancel your participation on or after June 12, you will not get any refund.
If you wish to cancel your participation in the program, and declare your intent to do so by June 11, 2021 (Japan time), 80% of your fees will be refunded. If you cancel your participation in the program by July 9, 2021 (Japan time), 30% of your fees will be refunded. The transfer fee is deducted from the refund, and if you cancel your participation on or after June 12, you will not get any refund.